Note to Self

At my age, I find myself forgetting things, especially when It comes to my “To Do” list.

A lot of us have ways “to do” this.  Typical these days is to use your android or iPhone, tablet, or notebook.  It’s convenient and it keeps records and history for as long as you want. 

I’ve even seen people talking into a handheld recorder.


For me, I found what works best is handwriting these all too important tasks on a piece of paper and carrying it with me where ever I go.  It did the job when I went to college (pre-computer), discovering now, that this old way takes care of business as well as any other means.

It’s not that I’m adverse nor have I not tried these wonderful apps that crowd my cell phone.  For example, I rely upon the calendar app instead of flipping pages in an A5 organizer.

But there’s something to say about that sheet of paper with a note written from you in your own cryptic handwriting.

Benefits?

  • It get’s the job done.
  • It’s convenient.
  • It’s not bulky.
  • You see accomplishments as you check off the task.
  • Each time you open up the sheet, it gives you a snap shot of what you’ve done and still need to do.
  • It helps time manage your tasks.
  • It helps prioritize your tasks.
  • It makes you feel good when you check off everything on your list and justifies that “Miller Time” moment.


This is a simple process that anyone can sink his/her teeth into, a physical act that requires both mind and body to coordinate and integrate as one; kind of like a ‘tai chi” moment.  And there’s nothing wrong with Tai Chi.

I surfed the web and found posts and articles about the benefits of physically handwriting on journals, school notes, meetings and so forth as they prove a stronger method of recollection.  

Check it out.  It’s somewhat revealing.

If you’re like me, handwriting or scribbling that’s marginally legible, you may think it’s counter-productive because of the readability factor, but when you step back and think about it, what matters is that whoever writes the note, can read it and make sense of it. 

From a business perspective, this is one way to relieve yourself from the dreaded multi-tasking monkey mind your find yourself caught into.

Write your list, and stick it in your pocket, referring to it every chance you get.

Try it.  You'll like it!

So if you don’t mind, my “To Do List” says I’ve got to throw the whites into the wash.


No comments:

Post a Comment